- Airman Mohammad Zubair was sacked by the IAF for sporting beard
- The Court upheld the sacking as it was against armed forces regulation
- According to Army rules only the Sikh community is allowed to grow a beard
- Zubair had appealed against the IAF asserting his fundamental right
- When its view was sought, the Air Force told the court: 'The practice of growing and keeping beard is optional and is not universally recognised in Islam.'
The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the sacking of a Muslim Air Force personnel for sporting a long beard and remarked that armed forces' regulations are meant to ensure discipline and uniformity. [. . .]
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-4038286/Lose-beard-SOLDIER-Court-confirms-Sikh-Air-Force-personnel-sport-beards-NOT-Muslims.html