|

January 25, 2021

India: Why A Harvard Sanskrit Scholar Wrote A Novel About A Woman’s Fight With A Right-Wing Hindu Party | Madras Courier

by Ken Langer

As the author of the recently published novel A Nest for Lalita, I’ve often been asked what motivated me to write a novel set in India about a social activist, Meena Kaul, and her quest to shelter women who have survived domestic violence? And how did I come to write about Meena’s struggle with an ultra-right-wing Hindu party, which is trying to turn the clock back on women’s rights?

The India part was easy: I fell in love with the country the moment I read the Yoga Sutras in college. I went on to do a Ph.D. in Sanskrit and Indian studies at Harvard University and lived in Varanasi, Pune, and New Delhi for a total of more than five years. But the reason I began a novel about a woman activist is more complicated. The short answer is that I am atoning for the sin of writing a ten-pound Ph.D. dissertation on the subject of Sanskrit love poetry.

 [ . . . ]

 https://madrascourier.com/books-and-films/why-a-harvard-sanskrit-scholar-wrote-a-novel-about-a-womans-fight-with-a-right-wing-hindu-party/